AIDR's Education Program
The Australian Institute for Disaster Resilience (AIDR) delivers a range of educational programs based on a set of core principles:
- Resilience is a complex topic and much of the success of an education program will be the way in which it helps to change the way we think and behave as individuals, communities and organisations.
- Our response agencies (e.g. fire, flood, health and humanitarian) have well-developed educational materials specific for the situations in which they provide their services.
- A growing number of disaster situations are beyond what individuals and organisations have experienced or trained for and there is an increasing need to up-skill our workforce to allow them to deliver the best possible responses in complex, ambiguous and dangerous environments.
Embedding resilience as a core capability at all levels of our society will require:
- the sharing and translation of research and evidence derived from research to inform the development of resilience
- greater engagement with schools in the development of resilience (with a focus on the disaster setting) as a core skill to be developed in our children as they grow and develop
- providing volunteers from all organisations involved in disaster prevention, preparedness, response and recovery with opportunities to develop and test their leadership skills
- promoting discussion and debate amongst senior leaders and the next generation of leaders on 'wicked' problems where the complexity of the disaster (or threatened disaster) challenges the fundamental principles and operating experiences on which responses are traditionally based, and
- making relevant information freely available to assist in capability development and decision making.
To deliver a portfolio of quality educational programs across Australia, AIDR will partner with emergency management and disaster resilience agencies, registered training organisations (RTOs) and higher education institutions. Details of available programs and their delivery dates can be found in the Events tab.
More information on specific programs can be found through the following links:
If you are looking for opportunities for further study, the Education & Professional Development Collection in the Australian Disaster Resilience Knowledge Hub has links to providers around Australia.
Disaster Resilience Education for Schools