To assist participants to build individual and team capability in making decisions under conditions of high pressure, stress, and uncertainty.
This is a highly interactive, evidence-based, and practical two-day online masterclass. Participants will be introduced to a range of tools to improve their own decisions and those of their teams so they can best meet their obligations and accountabilities as a leader.
The online masterclass focuses on building and maintaining psychological safety for contractive dissent in high pressure environments and the resulting impact on thinking and decision-making. As well as group dynamics considering multiple perspectives, organisational culture, meaning making and recognising and managing drift to unsafe conditions.
The online masterclass is intended for those who make decisions in high pressure environments and who are interested in how to improve their decision-making and that of the teams they lead.
This event is run across two days in three-hour sessions and is presented through an online delivery method.
This masterclass explores six topic areas and participants will learn about:
Topic one: The impact of deep uncertainty – implications for disaster decision making
- Examining the features of contemporary events: volatility, uncertainty, ambiguity, and complexity
- The impacts of shifting values; societal norms, individual and group cohesion – turbulence and flux
Topic two: Decision making under pressure
- The neuroscience of decision-making
- The impacts of stress, time compression, and uncertainty on individual and group decision-making
- Individual and team error traps
- The fallibility of judging decisions on outcomes
Topic three: Uncertainty and decision making: new skills and tools
- Tools to assess volatility of an event, monitoring drift and coping ugly
- Features contributing to good leaders making bad decisions Identifying red flag conditions
Topic four: Making sense of decision making under pressure
- Recognising sources of pressure
- Identifying cognitive bias and developing meta-cognitive thinking
- Tools to support individual decision-making
- Group dynamics and organisational culture
Topic five: Building and maintaining psychological safety
- Assessing communication climate and team culture
- Building and maintaining psychological safety for constructive dissent
- Meaning-making and multiple perspectives
Topic six: Enhancing team decision making
- Elements that undermine and enhance team effectiveness
- Embracing diversity
- Facilitating authorising environments to enhance team capability